Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Starblazing



A kid in class who likes to draw anime and manga style stuff was asking me about doing female faces and hair. I asked him why Naruto wears safety cone orange capri sweat pants and has kitty whiskers on his face.
Then I drew this for him as he watched to illustrate a few things about facial proportions. You'll note the lack of any floating teardrops or asterisks at her forehead.
Where did that stupid stuff come from anyway? I know that the style traces its roots back to Osamu Tezuka, who basically just ripped off Carl Barks and added robots, but how do you go from a Carl Barks rip off with robots to the floaty tear drop nonsense?
About now that student would start correcting me and say that anime and manga are different, there are multiple styles, and nobody in Japan ripped off Carl Barks and who is Carl Barks anyway. Whatever.

Anyway, I kind of liked the drawing so later on I added some stuff to it in Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment